At HDR, we specialize in engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services. While we are most well-known for adding beauty and structure to communities through high-performance buildings and smart infrastructure, we provide much more than that. We create an unshakable foundation for progress because our multidisciplinary teams also include scientists, economists, builders, analysts and artists. That's why we believe diversity is our greatest strength. HDR is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer.
Watch our 'About Us' video
We believe that the way we work can add meaning and value to the world. That ideas inspire positive change. That coloring outside the lines can illuminate fresh perspectives. And that small details yield important realizations. Above all, we believe that collaboration is the best way forward.
The HDR Strategic Communications team is looking to hire a Graphic Designer to support public involvement and outreach activities. This team serves the communications needs of infrastructure projects related to transportation, water, development, sustainability, power and other utilities. Clients are primarily located in the Dakotas and Wyoming but extend throughout the United States and range from private entities to all levels of government (city, county, state and federal). This role defines and articulates visual design language across multiple platforms such as print, web, and mobile for multiple clients and their brands.
- Development of professional visual design materials to communicate and educate clients and the community about infrastructure projects
- Interpret and distill highly technical information for mainstream audiences
- Work products may include: logos, infographics, poster boards, interactive media, presentations, handouts and flyers, web and direct mail pieces, maps, video, advertisements, etc.
- Strong emphasis on data-driven or information design
- Produce materials in-house and work with external print and/or production vendors
- Research paper options, printing techniques, and digital media file preparation methods as necessary
- Prepare work for output and meet with vendors to discuss and estimate projects
- Ensure quality control through approval of proofs and review of materials
- Perform other duties as needed
- Bachelor's or Associate’s degree in Fine Arts, Graphic Design, Strategic Communications or combination of education and relevant experience
- Creative and resourceful self-starter who excels in a fast-paced, team environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Service and client-oriented personality
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to handle multiple assignments at a time and meet deadlines
- Proficiency in the Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign) and Microsoft Office (PowerPoint and Outlook)
- Color correction for offset and digital printing; ability to design in a wide variety of styles; eye for design details, such as typography, alignment, hierarchy, etc.
- Strong portfolio showing design experience
- An understanding of branding/brand development, communications, and research
- An attitude and commitment to being an active participant of our employee-owned culture
- Ability to hand-illustrate using vector-based illustration software
- Web development experience
- Experience with Google SketchUp or other 3D rendering programs
- Experience creating motion graphics and animations
At HDR, we know work isn't only about who you work for; it's also about what you do and how you do it. Led by the strength of our values and a culture shaped by employee ownership, we network with each other, build on each other's contributions, and collaborate together to make great things possible. When you join HDR, we give you license to do the same. We help you take charge of your career, giving you multiple growth opportunities along the way.
Documents Required for Applying: Resume, Cover Letter, Portfolio
Contact Email for Applications: firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional Comments: This position can be filled in Fargo, Bismarck, Sioux Falls, or Rapid City.